Get Certified - CMM & CMP
The two primary certifications recognized within the meetings industry are the
- CMP (Certified Meeting Professional)
- and the CMM (Global Certification in Meeting Management)
♦ The Certified Meeting Professional Program (CMP) ♦
Setting the Standard of Excellence
The Certified Meeting Professional Program has been in existence since 1985 and is managed by the Convention Industry Council. For more information on the CIC, please call (571) 527-3116 or visit the website.
Benefits of the CMP:
- Recognition: As the premier industry certification, the CMP distinguishes holders as career professionals who have demonstrated a high level of experience, skill and knowledge.
- Competitive Advantage: The designation conveys credibility to a meeting professionals opinions and ideas, both at work and in the greater meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry.
- Peer Acceptance: CMPs are immediately recognized by other CMPs as fellow professionals committed to the advancement of the profession.
- Salary Enhancement: CMPs can use the certification as a competitive advantage when it comes to negotiating salaries and other business. Studies show an average salary increase of $10,000 with this designation.
- Personal Achievement: After passing a rigorous application and examination process, CMPs express a profound sense of personal achievement at finally being regarded as the exceptionally skilled professional they are.
- Commitment: Successful completion of the certification process conveys that the certified meeting professional is committed and goal driven in their career.
About the CMP Program
The Convention Industry Council (CIC) launched the Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) program in 1985 to
- enhance the knowledge and performance of meeting professionals,
- promote the status and credibility of the meeting profession, and
- advance uniform standards of practice.
Today, the CMP credential is recognized globally as the badge of excellence in the meeting, convention, exhibition, and event industry. The qualifications for certification are based on professional experience, education, and a rigorous exam.
Created by and for Meeting Professionals
The CMP exam was developed and is maintained by meeting professionals from all over the world who volunteer their time to ensure that the program reflects the best practices in the meeting management field. More than 10,000 meeting professionals in 55 countries around the globe hold the CMP designation. This unique community represents every sector of the industry—from corporations and associations to government and institutional organizations.
The CMP program aims to increase the professionalism of meeting management professionals in all sectors of the industry by:
- Identifying a comprehensive body of knowledge in the meeting management profession
- Promoting industry standards, practices and ethics
- Stimulating the advancement of the art and science of meeting management
- Increasing the value of Certified Meeting Professionals to their employers
- Maximizing the value received from the products and services provided by CMPs
The CMP-HC Subspecialty
In 2014, CIC launched the Certified Meeting Professional healthcare subspecialty (CMP-HC) program to address the needs of a growing segment of CMPs who manage the production of meetings in the healthcare industry. The CMP-HC is a subspeciality of the CMP. Those seeking this certification must first pass the CMP exam.
The CMP-HC credential is designed to validate CMPs who have demonstrated a superior understanding and mastery of the specific regulations, laws and best practices that must be followed when conducting a healthcare-focused meeting.
For CMP Applicants
Why Become a Certified Meeting Professional (CMP)?
For more than thirty years, Convention Industry Council (CIC) has defined new levels of professionalism through its Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) program. CIC certifies individuals through an internationally recognized certification program that evaluates the competency of meeting professionals. The CMP designation represents the standard of excellence in today's meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry.
The CMP certification program is a two-part process in which you must complete the CMP application to demonstrate your eligibility, and then successfully pass a written examination covering the functions performed in meeting management.
Visit the Convention Industry Council website HERE to:
1) Learn how to create an account with CIC and apply to be a CMP
2) Attend one of the CMP Monthly Webinars to learn about the CMP program and how to apply
3) Review the CMP Webinar PowerPoint and learn more about the application process
4) View the specific details on eligibility requirements for the CMP Program: http://www.conventionindustry.org/CMP/CMPApplicants/CMPApplication.aspx
♦ Global Certification in Meeting Management (CMM) ♦
The Global Certification in Meeting Management (CMM) has been developed and overseen by Meeting Professionals International (MPI).
The CMM is the first university co-developed global professional designation for meeting professionals. The global CMM focuses on strategic issues and executive decision-making and offers advanced level meeting professionals the opportunity for:
- Education in strategic thinking and acting,
- A global certification and industry recognition,
- Potential career advancement, and
- A networking community of other advanced-level people.
You are an ideal candidate for the CMM program if:
- You have 10 years or more experience in the industry as a supplier, DMC, PCO and/or meeting/event planner.
- You want to move your career to a new strategic level.
- You are perceived as a logistics implementer and are faced with demonstrating your value.
- You want to gain new strategic thinking skills and put them into action.
- You need to speak the same language as your management and executives.
- You are striving to stay ahead of the curve and competition.
- You are dealing with cutbacks, outsourcing, ROI, doing more with less, competition/mergers, keeping up with technology, budget restrictions, centralizing, job security, economic advancement, keeping customers and clients, finding and keeping quality staff.
- You are seeking interaction with advanced-level industry peers.
The steps to the CMM Program are:
- Post-Residency Business Project
The CMM website has more information and the applications to start your journey to obtain your CMM. While the certification programs listed above enable a participant to take their experience and skill sets and establish their knowledge and capabilities by obtaining a certification, MPI offers another series of continuing education programs to help you learn the fundamentals of meeting planning.
♦ Institutes by Meeting Professionals International ♦
Comprehensive Education for Meeting Professionals
Established in 1987, Institutes are MPI's highly acclaimed program series created in order to help meeting professionals develop vital personal, professional and leadership skills that increase professional value and build a powerful base of knowledge. MPI offers three levels of Institute courses in order to meet the diverse needs of its members and their corresponding years of experience. Institutes are certificate programs and offer the opportunity to earn CEU credits toward qualifying for industry certifications.