Get Certified - CMM & CMP
The two primary certifications recognized within the meetings industry are the
- CMP (Certified Meeting Professional)
- and the CMM (Global Certification in Meeting Management)
♦ The Certified Meeting Professional Program (CMP) ♦
Setting the Standard of Excellence
The Certified Meeting Professional Program has been in existence since 1985 and is managed by the Convention Industry Council. For more information on the CIC, please call (571) 527-3116 or visit the website.
Benefits of the CMP:
- Recognition: As the premier industry certification, the CMP distinguishes holders as career professionals who have demonstrated a high level of experience, skill and knowledge.
- Competitive Advantage: The designation conveys credibility to a meeting professionals opinions and ideas, both at work and in the greater meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry.
- Peer Acceptance: CMPs are immediately recognized by other CMPs as fellow professionals committed to the advancement of the profession.
- Salary Enhancement: CMPs can use the certification as a competitive advantage when it comes to negotiating salaries and other business. Studies show an average salary increase of $10,000 with this designation.
- Personal Achievement: After passing a rigorous application and examination process, CMPs express a profound sense of personal achievement at finally being regarded as the exceptionally skilled professional they are.
- Commitment: Successful completion of the certification process conveys that the certified meeting professional is committed and goal driven in their career.
The application is made up of two areas of focus. Download the CMP Handbook for more information.
SECTION I — PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE IN THE MEETING, EVENT, EXHIBITION AND HOSPITALITY/TOURISM INDUSTRY
Meeting, event, exhibition, and hospitality/tourism management hereinafter called "industry"
Option 1: Professional Experience
- Currently or recently employed in the industry (within the previous twelve (12) months) with a minimum of 36 months of work experience.
Option 2: Professional and Education Experience
- Currently or recently employed in the industry (within the previous twelve (12) months) with a minimum of 24 months qualifying full-time work experience AND holds a bachelor’s degree or international equivalent in meeting, event, exhibition, and hospitality/tourism management. All professional experience and other meeting management activities submitted must have occurred in a professional context, not earned during academic study.
Option 3: Professional Experience in Academia
- Currently a full-time instructor of meeting, event, exhibition or hospitality/tourism management an educational institution or university program with 36 months of full-time experience in academia.
SECTION II — INTERNSHIP OR CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Option 1: Industry Internship
- Completed a structured, supervised internship in meeting, event, exhibition or hospitality/tourism management with a minimum of 200 hours of work experience with a professional organization through an accredited educational institution or university.
Option 2: Continuing Education
- Completion of 25 clock hours of industry-related continuing education within the past five years. In order to receive credit for continuing education, courses must relate to one of the domain areas of the CMP International Standards (CMP-IS). The CMP-IS is the body of knowledge for the Certified Meeting Professional program and examination.
MPI-CAC provides Continuing Education Unit (CEU) credits for learning activities as an additional membership benefit. View the CEUs for past and upcoming MPI-CAC educational programs.
How to Get Started:
- Log onto www.conventionindustry.org/index.aspx to review the CMP exam dates and send for CMP candidate handbook & qualification sheet.
- Complete the qualification sheet, submit to CIC for acceptance, and register for the CMP Examination.
Applicable Webinars and Contact Information
MPI-CAC hosted a CMP informational webinar presented by Christina Buck, CMP - Program Director with the Convention Industry Council. The webinar provided information on the CMP program, application process and MPI-CAC's available resources.
CMP Process Presented by CIC - Webinar Slides
MPI-CAC Resources - Webinar Slides
MPI-CAC hosted an informational webinar on the CMP recertification process hosted by Monique Montoya, CMP - Program Director with the Convention Industry Council. The webinar provided information on the recertification application process, requirements and upcoming changes that will affect recertification beginning in 2012.
CMP Recertification Process by CIC - Webinar Slides
CMP Recertification for Current CMPs
♦ Global Certification in Meeting Management (CMM) ♦
The Global Certification in Meeting Management (CMM) has been developed and overseen by Meeting Professionals International (MPI).
The CMM is the first university co-developed global professional designation for meeting professionals. The global CMM focuses on strategic issues and executive decision-making and offers advanced level meeting professionals the opportunity for:
- Education in strategic thinking and acting,
- A global certification and industry recognition,
- Potential career advancement, and
- A networking community of other advanced-level people.
You are an ideal candidate for the CMM program if:
- You have 10 years or more experience in the industry as a supplier, DMC, PCO and/or meeting/event planner.
- You want to move your career to a new strategic level.
- You are perceived as a logistics implementer and are faced with demonstrating your value.
- You want to gain new strategic thinking skills and put them into action.
- You need to speak the same language as your management and executives.
- You are striving to stay ahead of the curve and competition.
- You are dealing with cutbacks, outsourcing, ROI, doing more with less, competition/mergers, keeping up with technology, budget restrictions, centralizing, job security, economic advancement, keeping customers and clients, finding and keeping quality staff.
- You are seeking interaction with advanced-level industry peers.
The steps to the CMM Program are:
- Post-Residency Business Project
The CMM website has more information and the applications to start your journey to obtain your CMM. While the certification programs listed above enable a participant to take their experience and skill sets and establish their knowledge and capabilities by obtaining a certification, MPI offers another series of continuing education programs to help you learn the fundamentals of meeting planning.
♦ Institutes by Meeting Professionals International ♦
Comprehensive Education for Meeting Professionals
Established in 1987, Institutes are MPI's highly acclaimed program series created in order to help meeting professionals develop vital personal, professional and leadership skills that increase professional value and build a powerful base of knowledge. MPI offers three levels of Institute courses in order to meet the diverse needs of its members and their corresponding years of experience. Institutes are certificate programs and offer the opportunity to earn CEU credits toward qualifying for industry certifications.